Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Proverbs 31 and Four Goals I Have for Homemaking

Proverbs 31 is so often mentioned as a standard for women that it has become almost trite. When discussing the roles of wife and mother, I have so often heard then say "oh, I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman." However, as I have been studying what the Scriptures say about homemaking, this description of the ideal wife cannot be avoided. As I read this again today, I am struck by how relevant something written almost three millennia ago can be. Of course, the things that make an excellent wife and home have never changed.

While there are many character qualities here that I can learn from, there are four things relating to homemaking that I immediately want to work on.

1. Take joy in the seemingly mundane - I want to not just work because I must, but work with delight and joy in the Lord (Proverbs 31:13)

2. Establish routines - I want to create enough organization for my household that the things that need to be done always get done in a timely and orderly fashion (Proverbs 31:15, 27)

3. Provide excellent food and meals - I want to obtain the highest quality food available and prepare consistently good and healthy meals for everyone in the family (Proverbs 31: 14, 15)

4. Practice good stewardship - I want to have things of good quality and in good repair (Proverbs 31: 18, 21, 22) For my household this means that we must get rid of all of the things that we do not need (hopefully giving them to the poor), throw away all of the things that are broken or cannot be used, and make good decisions about purchasing high quality things in the future.


1 comment:

pgepps said...

good stuff! and don't miss the sound manufacturing, management, investment, and merchandising strategies she models!